What is the show and how do I get tickets?

The Jen and Kim Show

I’m not sure if I’ve explained this clearly in the past, I know I’ve made reference to it here and to others, but I figure why not now before I make reference in Berlin recap entries (it also lets me know if my costar actually reads this, like she said she would start to).

Kim and I lived together for 3 years. It was three years of dirty dishes, messy one-bedroom apartments, me living behind curtains and constant conversation between the two of us.

Believe me, when I make reference to us knowing each other well, we do. For a large part of my life all that separated me in my bedroom from her in the living room/dining room/guest bedroom was a thin Ikea curtain. Every thought that ran through our minds was said and contemplated. We came up with quirky sayings and conversations that I’m sure others would find either:
a) stupid
b) childlike
c) embarrassing
or d) confusing.
When we ended our living arrangement last December it was the end of an era, so getting back into our old selves was so fun in Berlin, we have the kind of comfort with each other that we can say what we want and not fear what the other thinks, we can talk and know the other is listening and will most likely state the most obvious solution to the problems but will sound brilliant in doing so.

So- the show. Kim and I have the same cynical, sarcastic and black sense of humor. We can one-line one another pretty fast, not as good as my dad, but we hold our own. One day while riding a bus in Vancouver we realized that we’re hilarious, we would talk about things that are pretty mundane and stupid, but we’d entertain ourselves for hours (think Seinfeld… at least we think so). We realized that we should charge people on the bus to listen to us, because it’s brilliant, they’re being entertained to listen to this conversation and we deserve compensation… in essence, we’re a tv show but on the bus.

After awhile we started to refer to our banter and relationship as the “Jen and Kim show.” Every time we’d do something we’d call it the show, for example one Halloween when neither of us had plans we tried to decide what to do, after coming up with nothing we realized the two of us could dress up and go to a bar together, but after a moment of contemplation we realized it would just be “the Jen and Kim show with costumes,” something that was too expensive and not worth our time when we could just do the same thing in our apartment. Funny to others, probably not, but to us it was hilarious, and it became our thing, we’ve done various episodes, for example “the Jen and Kim show do Christmas,” “Jen and Kim show in Victoria” and now “the Jen and Kim show in Europe.”

So we go around, making jokes in our witty banter, we don’t know if it entertains others, but we love it. It was great to have that back in Berlin.

1 comments:

Jo-Anne& Rugger said...

I do remember the Jen and Kim show, May be you should tape it, but is the world ready for it?
Love Mom