AKA: YVR

We got into a discussion after lunch on Sunday. Or maybe it was just Christian just talking and all of us arguing with him, this sometime happens.

He asked me if the Vancouver International Airport had another name. I said no, although we often refer to it as YVR.

This upset him. Because every freaking airport here in Italy, if not Europe, has a name. There are plenty of examples: Heathrow, Charles DeGaul, Malpensa, etc.

Even outside Europe there is JFK in New York and I think Toronto is called Pearsons.

It bothered him that YVR didn’t have another name. I like to argue that it’s easier to refer to a airport by it’s city, unless said city is big enough, like London or Milan, to have more than one and thereby needing more than one name.

I mean would the average person know where I was landing or leaving from if I said I was leaving from “Marco Polo?” Probably not, so I’d have to waste more time and say that it’s the Venice airport. What about Schirpol? (sp? I could look it up, but that requires work you know). That’s where my layover in Amsterdam is (ok, this maybe a bigger airport, but really, Amsterdam is so much easier).

But, apparently this isn’t good enough for Christian, so we need to find a name for YVR. Christian suggested Bryan Adams airport. I said I liked Michael J Fox International better. Anyone have any good ideas? Leave them in the comments (a sneaky ploy to get people to comment, I know) and the best one will not become the official name, but you know, I may refer to it in this blog at some point when writing about my return to Vancouver.

1 comments:

Jo-Anne& Rugger said...

I say Terry Fox
Love Mom
PS
I do thank you for keeping me entertained