"if you're not willing to be changed by a place, there's no point in going."

“And now, the end is near
And so I face, the final curtain
My friends, I’ll say it clear
I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain
I’ve lived a life that’s full
I’ve traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way”


And here it is, the end of my time here in Italy.

Everyone keeps asking if I’m sad to leave or if I’m happy to be going back to Vancouver. I think it’s both.

I am sad to be leaving behind earlier than scheduled and to leave behind my family and the friends I’ve made while here. There are other things I’ll miss as well, such as fresh bread, heated towel racks, bird polenta and the numerous cultural differences I find here on a daily basis.

At the same time I’m happy to return to Vancouver, I’ve missed my family, friends and the familiarity of the city- there’s something I never thought I’d say. I also feel like it’s time, because while I know I said I wanted to stay here a year, it’s becoming more and more apparent that moving to a country is a lot different – and harder – than visiting it.

I will be back though, I have so much more to see and do here that I wish I had more time and money to do it with. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and would not trade the time spent here for anything. I think, looking back at myself when I first came and now, that I’ve learned a lot about myself, where I’m going and what I want to be.

I think most of all I’m excited to be returning with a plan for the future, I was worried that when I left here I was going to return and would be lost and unsure of what I’m doing. But I think my time here has made a lot of things clear for me and maybe cemented some ideas in my head for the future.

So arrivederci Italy. I will miss your museums, architecture and fashion, I can’t say the same about your bureaucracy or dial-up internet.

1 comments:

Jo-Anne& Rugger said...

That was beutiful, I am even proder of you now, if that was possible.
Love
Mom