Conquering fears and making new ones

I guess it’s incorrect to say that I’m conquering fears, since I’m certain that once I’m back in Canada and faced with one of the big ugly spiders there that I will freak out as I normally do. But here in Italy, they don’t really faze me. Dare I say I even kill them (with a broom or I step on them). Maybe it’s because here they’re skinny little things like daddy long legs and not as menacing as in Canada, thing is that I don’t care.

I did find a new fear though… scorpions. Holy geez, I’ve gone almost a month without any and found two on Tuesday night. First one was when we were all downstairs and Christian and Simone were BBQ-ing, I was looking at my aunt’s shot glass collection (Lauren, send all yours this way) and I noticed that a few of them had things in them, like the Mexico one had a little plastic person lying on a hammock and some other one had something else. So I pick another one up and am about to say to my aunt that I like the glasses with stuff in them that I look and see a scorpion in one, I ask her if it’s supposed to be in there, but noticing that it’s not a glass from somewhere hot I realize it’s an actual scorpion (that seemed to have died in the glass). Jessica and I have a little freak out and my aunt throws it in the fire, crisis averted.

Cut to two hours later… I’m in my room on the phone with Kim, who surprised me by calling from Germany. Everything is going good, we’re chatting and I’m pacing around my room as I always do whilst on the phone. I look down and there is a scorpion by my dresser. Not cool, not cool at all. I calmly walk out of the room and stare it down, luckily buddy wasn’t smart enough to move. Once I finish the call I go downstairs and get Christian to come up and kill it. Stupid thing still hadn’t moved, not even when faced with a damn shoe. Those things are creepy as hell and now I’m looking for them everywhere (don’t even ask about the shower I took afterwards and mistakenly thought my hair was a scorpion falling on me… I really shouldn’t admit that stuff here should I? I was imagining arachnophobia (the movie) for scorpions).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh god!! I would have freaked out if I saw a scorpion too!!! Yikes!! good luck with that...

Jo-Anne& Rugger said...

I am amaized that you can handle spiders, but you even completed you conversation befor going to get help for the scorpian.
xo
Mom

Lauren W said...

so scorpions... scorpions you say... umm so maybe I won't be coming to visit you in Italy... :s
but no wonder you're no longer afraid of spiders - they pale in comparison to the threat of scorpions
hell, i'm across the world and even i'm frightened for you...
(this is clearly meant to be an uplifting message!!)
and yes... there might just be some shot glasses traveling your way in the near future...