Because I'm Obsessed

We have satellite here in Italy. Sky has literally a million channels, most are in Italian but they often give you the option of watching in English if the program was originally in English. So movies, TV show (usually a season behind) and music channels are still available for me to enjoy.

There are about 30-40 music stations, I mean music stations, not mtv or much music types of “music” stations that claim to play music but really show really bad reality TV 23.5 hours out of the day, although we do get MTV too… and Vh1.

The variety of news networks is huge, aside from about 20 different Italian news programs we also get FoxNews, MSNBC, CNN World, BBC World, Al Jezera and numerous others. Wednesday morning I turned on the TV to find out about the Canadian election, I wanted to hear the inevitable news for myself. It was probably about 1am in Canada at the time so I figured a decision must have been made and would be reported internationally, I mean they’re obsessed with the US election on all the networks, American or not, they’d have to give at least some news on the Canadian decision. It took half an hour before I found anything. During that time I watched all major networks discuss the economic crisis (which still makes sense to me, but as my student told me, since I have no money, I’m lucky… never thought I’d hear that in my life), but no Canadian election results. It wasn’t until I changed to CNN with the strategy that if I watched long enough, they would say something… or at least the ticker would (side note: there ticker isn’t as big as the one on the US CNN making it hard to read). Finally, after about 15minutes of listening to them drone on about how McCain was planning on attacking Obama’s economic plan during the debate on Wednesday night they finally gave me the news in a small tidbit on the ticker: “Conservative Party has lead in Canadian Election.”

And my day was then ruined.

On another note, I switched on the TV Thursday morning to discover FoxNews replaying the debate (my god FoxNews loves their republicans). Aside from the fact that I seriously love Obama and will be more upset if he loses than I was when Bush was re-elected, McCain is kinda an ass. The whole republican platform is to take low blows at the democrats. Also, McCain fights like a little kid (or myself and my brother when we fight), making passive aggressive comments and snide remarks that make him look childish and petty, shouldn’t his advisors tell him that?

I think that’ll be enough of my election coverage until the 4th and I’ll now try to resume this blogs original intentions, the one in which I try to talk about myself and Italy and all that jazz.

It’s just that the election is interesting and I talk about it with my students a lot.

If you’re looking for updates in Jen world… well I’m still teaching, I’m also driving without stalling and the language is still foreign. I’m considering taking Italian lessons at the school I teach at, because self-teaching when you’re not good at self-motivating isn’t really working for me.

0 comments: