Fun facts about Canada according to Italians

First of all, lucky readers, there are three new posts today, because of my lack of computer time this week, I wrote these but never got on the ‘net to post them, so I’m posting them all now.

A list of some of the fun things I learned about Canada, or at least what Italians and other Europeans think about Canadians:

-Canadians all speak French. The fact that I don’t, makes me a freak
-We drive on the other side of the street, just like in Britain
-We all know each other, apparently when I say I’m from Canada they all want to tell me they have a friend, cousin, aunt, collegue, whatever living there. When I say I’m from Vancouver and they know someone in Vancouver, they tell me there name and assume I know them. If I don’t, they try to describe them to me to see if I may have run into the “23-year old blonde girl with blue eyes and goes by the name Laura” Oh yeah, her.
-It’s cold and snows a lot. I tell them that I live in an igloo sometimes, that doesn’t always fly though
-We have no fashion sense and wear big puffy parkas that I’m not going to need here, they say it gets cold in the winter here, but not “Canada cold”
-We have funny accents, but apparently I don’t have it (says the girl from California… we started talking and she says “You’re from Canada, funny, I don’t hear the accent”)
-Those that have been to Canada like to ask if I miss Tim Hortons
-We’re all apparently very nice and alike, three people told me that I reminded them of the people they knew in Canada because we were all very nice

That’s all for now, but I’ll try to add more as I think of them. Hope everyone is doing good and I'm enjoying reading the comments :) (hint hint... leave some)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you let the Italians know that we are not all very nice. And most of us don't even speak English let alone French.
OX
mom

Jo-Anne& Rugger said...

Hi love reading your entrys. It's just like haveing you here. Not realy but next best thing.
OX
mom

Lauren W said...

hmmm just a few points here:

-its a shame you don't speak french (or sveedish) like me...letting your country's image down :)
-just so's ya know... ppl all over the world will try to think of someone they know, and proceed to tell you about them, when they hear where you're from...
-yes, according to our southern neighbors, we are supposed to say 'aboot' not about... also feel free to throw in a maple syrup comment, i think it will go over well- mention dog sleds too

big hugs from sunny (yes, sunny...tres enjoyable)vancouver!!!!

Jen said...

I know you're trying to make me jealous of the sunny weather lauren, but we're having a great indian summer here, reached about 18-20 degrees here today :D

Recity said...

How can you NOT know Laura, everybody knows Laura. And as for Tim Hortons, yes, I miss it if I'm more than a half hour drive from one, even if I don't actually want one. Why do you think that was the first buisness that Canada brought to Afghanistan....?

Your Bro